How do you buy out a partner in a house in SA?

In the case of a joint bond, where a bond is guaranteed by at least two parties, one of the parties may decide to withdraw, or they may decide they want to be the sole owner of the property.

So if the latter is the case, how would you buy your partner’s share?

First of all, the consent of both parties is required unless by order of the court.

Unfortunately, it’s not as simple as removing your partner’s name from the bond. You will have to be assessed by the bank to determine if you can afford your partner’s share of the bond.

You will then need to pay for the cancellation of the original bond, the registration of the new bond, and the transfer of your partner’s share of the bond to you. This involves a cancellation fee, a registration fee, and a transfer of property fee.

If you can’t afford to buy your partner out you can enlist a third party to buy their share. The third party would have to undergo an affordability assessment and credit checks.

This is why it’s important to consider potential scenarios if you enter into a joint bond.

On the subject of bonds, O-YES Home Loans can help you secure the best deal on a home loan by submitting your application to multiple banks (including your own), allowing you to compare deals and interest rates.

We also offer a range of tools that can make the home-buying process easier.  Start with our Bond Calculator, then use our Affordability Calculator to determine what you can afford. Finally, when ready, you can apply for a home loan.